Monday, January 2, 2012

The Insect World of J. Henri Fabre Review

The Insect World of J. Henri Fabre
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
In this book Fabre is not only a taxonomist but a behaviorist and he describes insect behavior in a charming and almost poetic way. This book is in no way dry in the way some find books on science to be and as much as it teaches us about insects and other classes of invertebrates it also teaches us about observation. And though I am vehemently opposed to mixing science with mysticism this book would probably be enjoyed by those seeking self improvement and spirituality as much as it would be enjoyed by the scientist.
When I was a child I had an aunt (God bless you Aunt Alberta) who lived on the West coast. She was a Biology teacher. Every once and awhile care packages of books would come from California. One of those books was "The Insect World of J. Henri Fabre". My mother would sometimes read to me from the book when our family when for a drive. I used to hang on every word.
In a way that book changed my life as I am now a scientist.
I think it can change yours as well. In this loud brash world let Fabre guide you into the gentle world of observation.
Highly recommended.

Click Here to see more reviews about: The Insect World of J. Henri Fabre

Jean Henri Fabre, nineteenth-century French entomologist and author of the massive Souvenirs Entomoligies, has inspired perhaps more modern writer/naturalists than any other chronicler of the natural world. Edwin Way Teale's selection of the most compelling of Fabre's writing makes The Insect World of J. Henri Fabre the essential edition of the writer Darwin called "the incomparable observer."

Buy Now

Click here for more information about The Insect World of J. Henri Fabre

No comments:

Post a Comment